Penelope is a wonderful movie; you should watch it immediately. Here’s why.
- The heroine narrates her own story, from a place of power, ownership, and strength.
- The plot-line elicits compassion, and while it is fantasy-based, it is highly symbolic and meaningful to any of us who have ever struggled to love ourselves as we are.
- It is not your typical romantic comedy… to say the least.
- Christina Ricci is awesome, and she carries off the lead role incomparably well.
- If you want to be cheered-up about leading men. Typically I find them pathetically immoral, asinine, rude, unkind, dishonest, selfish… and just generally unworthy. You might understand more fully my meaning as you get to know the leading male character of Penelope, and see how he is an appropriate foil to most leading men in modern films.
Please enjoy it. And if you fancy, submit it to the Bechdel test. Penelope is available to stream from Amazon Prime and Netflix.